This week, I made Chicken Tortilla soup and it was delicious! The recipe called for 3-3 1/2 hours on high in the crockpot, but mine was done after about 2 1/2. Also, the only thing I topped it with was the homemade tortilla strips. We try and keep it relatively healthy around here.
Prep: 15 minutes at 350 degrees
Slow Cook: 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 3 1/2 hours on high
Number of servings: 4
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 2 cups shopped cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen sweet peppers and onion stir-fry vegetables (I couldn't find these, so I used the green bell peppers and onion mix)
- 1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I hate spicy stuff and this amount didn't make it too hot for me)
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- sliced avocado, sour cream, sliced jalapenos, fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker combine broth, chicken, frozen vegetables, tomatoes, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook for alotted time above
- Before serving, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and crisp. Let cool. (mine took about 15 mins)
[recipe found in Better Homes & Gardens Year-Round Slow Cooker Recipes]